2017 Daily Bible Study Guide
Sept 25th – Ecclesiastes 8:16-9:9
- What conclusion does Solomon come to in verse 16-17? Put this in your own words. Can you think of a time in your life when you struggled to understand why something happened in your life? Describe it.
- How does Solomon live with this knowledge? (see 9:1) What does he mean when he says we do not know whether love or hate awaits us?
- What is the common destiny that all righteous and wicked people share? What hope then do we have according to Solomon here? How then should we live in light of this common destiny and the hope that is mentioned?
Sept 26th Ecclesiastes 9:10-18
- What does it look like to live like Solomon commands us to in verse 10? What reason does he give for us to work that way? Do you work that way? Why or why not?
- What is the observation Solomon is making in verse 11? What other exterior qualities might we be tempted to think guarantee success? Which of your qualities have you been tempted to rely on for success instead of trusting in God?
- What is the point of Solomon’s parable in verses 13-15? What are the principles Solomon draws out of this parable? Whose wisdom do you seek and rely on regularly? Describe that person.
Sept 27th – Ecclesiastes 10:1-20
- Explain in your own words what Solomon is communicating in verse one through vivid language. Can you think of examples of this principle in your own life?
- How does Solomon describe the fool in this passage? How does a fool differ from a wise man with his words? What tendencies are there in your life that tend toward the fool?
- What seems more common in our world today, fools or wise people? How do we live as wise people when we live among fools?
Sept 28th – Ecclesiastes 11:1-6
- What does Solomon urge us to do in verses 1 and 2? What does this mean? What can this look like in your life? What prevents us from living like this?
- What principle is Solomon teaching us in verse 4? Can you think of a time when you were tempted toward inaction because of waiting for perfect conditions? What areas of our life do we do this with?
- Put the advice Solomon share in verse 6 in your own words. Spend some time prayerfully examining your life looking for places where you are idle.
Sept 29th – Ecclesiastes 11:7-12:8
- What does Solomon tell us to do in verse 7-9? Remembering the rest of the book how are we able to do this? What 2 important reminders does Solomon give in verse 8 and 9?
- Why does Solomon remind us to remember the days of darkness? (see 7:2-4) Why does Solomon remind us that God will bring us to judgment? How should this effect the way we live?
- What does it mean to remember our creator in the days of our youth? How intentionally are you “remembering your creator?” What areas of your life would be different if you remembered your creator more?
Sept 30th – Psalm 38
- How does David describe his feelings before God because of his sin? Have you ever felt this way before God because of your sin? Describe one of those times.
- How does David describe the response of those around him? Have you ever felt like people around you have treated you like this? If so how did you respond?
- What are the petitions that David makes of the Lord in this Psalm? What are the petitions that are on your heart before the Lord today?
Oct 1st – Ecclesiastes 12:9-14
- What does Solomon liken the words of the wise to? In what ways are the words of the wise like these things?
- What is the whole duty of man? Describe in your own words what it means to fear God? to what degree do you fear God?
- What does Solomon give as the reason for this conclusion? What are the hidden things in your life that God will bring into judgement? How does knowing this motivate you to live differently in these areas?
Oct 2nd – Ephesians 1:1-14
- What did God choose us to be?What does it mean that he predestined us to be adopted as his sons?
- What does it mean that we have redemption through his blood?What did God lavish on us?What will be brought together under the head of Christ?
- What happened to us when we believed?How does Paul describe the significance of the Holy Spirit?Knowing this what is your hearts response to these great truths?
Oct 3rd – Ephesians 1:15-23
- What motivates Paul to pray for the church in Ephesus?What saints are you thankful for?How often do you express that thankfulness to God in prayer?
- What does Paul pray for the Ephesian believers?Take some time and pray for these things for our church.
- What Does Paul say about Christ in this passage?What does it mean for us that Christ is the head of the church?
Oct 4th – Ephesians 2:1-10
- How does Paul describe us before Christ?Looking at your own life in what ways did you gratify the cravings of your sinful nature before Christ?
- What did God do for us?What motivated God to do this for us?What does it mean when it says we are saved by grace and not by works?
- What does it mean to be God’sworkmanship?What does it say we were created for?What do you think are some of the good works God prepared for you to do?
Oct 5th Ephesians 2:11-22
- How does Paul describe us as Gentiles before Christ?What did God do for us through Christ? What does it mean to be brought near?
- Who are the two that are made one?How did he do this?How would you describe the relationship between Gentiles and Jews before Christ?After Christ?
- What does it mean that we are fellow citizens with God’s people?What does it say we are being built into now in Christ?
Oct 6th Ephesians 3
- What is the mystery in Christ that Paul refers to in this passage?Why does he refer to it as a mystery?
- How does Paul view himself before God?How do you view yourself?What was Paul’s understanding of his calling from God?
- What does Paul pray for the Ephesians?What is God able to do according to Paul?How does knowing this give us confidence to come to God with any and all requests?
Oct 7th – Psalm 39
- What are the emotions that David is feeling in this psalm?Which of those emotions do you most identify with and why?
- Why does David ask God to show him the number of his days?What does David then conclude about the length of his life?How might this affect his life from that day forward?How might it affect your life going forward?
- What is David asking God for in the last half of the Psalm?Why does he ask God to look away from him?What does he mean by this?
Oct 8th – Ephesians 4:1-16
- What does Paul mean when he says to live a life worthy of our calling?Are you living a life worthy of the calling God has placed on you?If s how? If not why not?
- What is the role and responsibility of church leaders?What is the responsibility of the church in the lives of others?What is the desired goal of this service?
- What comes with spiritual maturity according to this passage?What do you think your work in the church is that can help build others up and help them mature?
Oct 9th – Ephesians 4:17-32
- How does Paul describe the way the Gentiles live that we should not emulate?In what ways do you see our world living like this?
- What does it mean to put off our old self?How do we do this?What does it mean to put on the new self?How do we do this?
- How do we give the devil a foothold in our lives? What kind of speech should we avoid, what kind should engage in?How should we forgive one another?What does this look like?
Oct 10th – Ephesians 5:1-20
- What types of things are listed as improper for God’s holy people?What types of things are good for us to do as God’s holy people?Are there any behaviors listed here that you struggle with?What should you do?
- What does it mean to live as children of the light?What are some ways that we can find out what pleases the Lord?How do we know what the Lord’s will is?
- How can we be careful how we live, what does this look like?Do you have anyone in your life who helps you examine your life like an accountability partner?If not who can you ask to do this for you?
Oct 11th – Ephesians 5:21-33
- What are wives commanded to do here?What does it look like for wives to submit to their husbands?Give examples of what this looks like.
- What are husbands commanded to do here?What does it look like for them to love their husbands like this?Give some examples of what this looks like.
- Wives how are you doing at submission and respect toward you husband?Husbands how are you doing at loving your wives?
Oct 12th Ephesians 6:1-9
- What command are children given here?Why the qualifier “in the Lord?”What is the promise that goes with this command?
- Father’s what are you commanded not to do?What does this mean?What are you to do instead?Father’s in what ways are you intentionally doing this?
- What command is given to slaves?What command to masters?What application is there here for us in our jobs, or for us as bosses over others?
Oct 13th – Ephesians 6:10-24
- What does Paul say our battle is against?What does he mean by this?What does the armor of God enable us to do (v 11,13)?
- Describe the function and purpose of each piece of the armor of God?How do we put on these things?
- How are we to pray?How does Paul ask to be prayed for?What does this tell us about wat was important to him?If someone were to ask you how they could pray for you how would you answer them?
Oct 14th – Psalm 40
- What did God do for David in the first 3 verses of the Psalm?What has the Lord lifted you out of?How has he changed you circumstances from before you know him as Lord?What was David’s response to this?
- What does David desire in verse 8?Do you share this desire with David?What evidence is there in your life that this is true?
- What does David wish for those who seek the lord?How do you most often desire to worship God?How did David describe himself before God?How would you describe yourself?
Oct 15th – 1 Samuel 1
- How did Peninnah treat Hannah?Why did she treat her this way?What do you think was the connection between going to the house of the Lord and the mistreatment?
- What did Hannah do in her grief and desperation?How did the priest Eli respond to her?How did God respond to her?
- Can you think of a time when you felt desperate and poured out your heart to God, what did you do?What did God do?