Sept 1st – Phil 4:2-23
- What are we supposed to do instead of getting anxious?How does this help us not be anxious?What is promised instead of anxiousness?How have you seen this work in your life?
- What types of things are w to think about?As you evaluate your own thought life what things do you think about that don’t meet these criteria?What can you think of instead?
- How content is your heart with your life and what you have?Where are you discontent?What leads to that?What did Paul think was possible through the strength Christ provides?Do you live like you believe this too?
Sept 2nd – Psalm 34
- Why does it say about God that those who look to the Him never have their faces covered with shame?What does the Psalmist say about the angel of the Lord? What does this teach us about God?
- What are some ways that you have tasted and seen that God is good?What promises in this Psalm are most precious to you? Why?
- What does the Psalmist say we should do if we desire to see many good days?Who is the Lord attentive to?Who is he against?Who is the Lord close to? Who does he save?What does this tell us about the heart of our Lord?
Sept 3rd – Ruth 1
- Why did Elimelech and his wife Naomi go to Moab?What happened there?Why did Naomi decide to return to Judah?Why did Naomi tell her daughter in laws not to come with her?
- What does Ruth’s response to Naomi tell us about her?Have you ever had someone show you such personal loyalty and commitment?To whom have you shown this kind of loyalty to?
- How was Naomi feeling when she arrived back in Judah?What was her attitude toward God at this point?Have you ever felt this way?If so describe it.
Sept 4th – Ruth 2
- What How do you see God’s sovereignty on display in this chapter?How have you see God’s sovereignty on display in your life recently?
- What reason does Boaz give for treating Ruth with such favor?How does he show kindness to her?
- How does Naomi interpret the kindness of Boaz?What is a kinsman redeemer?How have you seen the compassion and kindness of God through the actions of others in your life?
Sept 5th – Ruth 3
- What essentially is the meaning of what Naomi is asking Ruth to do? (see also Eze 16:8)Why is she asking her to do it?
- How does Boaz respond to Ruth’s actions?How does Boaz interpret these actions as great kindness? What was Ruth’s reputation?How did she earn that reputation?
- What was it that made Ruth attractive to Boaz?What are you known for, what is your reputation in the church? In the community?Are you satisfied with that? Why or why not?
Sept 6th – Ruth 4
- Why did the first guy decide not to function as the kinsman redeemer and redeem Elimelech’s land?Describe a time in your life when you decided not to do something for someone else because of how it might affect your life in some way.
- What do we learn about Boaz from what he does in this story?Who is Boaz thinking about as he does these things?What do the elders ask the Lord for Boaz and Ruth?
- What is the ultimate result of this marriage?What was Naomi reminded of at the end of this story?Have there ever been seasons of your life that were so hard that at the end you needed to be reminded of the same thing?Describe those times.
Sept 7th – 2 John
- What command does the author say we have had from the beginning?How does he then define love?In what ways do you struggle to love others?In what ways do you excel?
- What are those who deny that Jesus came in the flesh called in this passage?What conclusion is made concerning the one who does not continue in the teaching of Christ?What conclusion for the one who does continue?
- What warning is given regarding people who teach something else?What does it mean “take him into your house” or “welcome” him?What does it look like to apply this warning in our lives today?
Sept 8th -3 John
- What gives the author great joy?As you look at what God is doing in your life and the life of your family what gives you great joy?
- What do you think Gaius is doing for the believers he does not even know?What does it mean to send them on their way in a manner worthy of God?Why ought we show hospitality according to verse 8?
- In what ways are you tempted to imitate what is evil?What makes you want to imitate it?In what ways are you committed to imitate what is good?Who are some people you look up to as good examples of good to imitate?Why?
Sept 9th – Psalm 35
- Where does the Psalmist look when he is opposed/mistreated by others?How do you respond when others mistreat or oppose you?Why do you respond that way?
- What does the Psalmist ask God to do to those who oppose him and mistreat him?When is it ok to ask God for things like this?When is it not ok to ask for things like this?
- How did the Psalmist respond when the people around him suffered?How did those people respond when the Palmist stumbled?Can you relate to his experience?If so How?
Sept 10th – Jude
- How are the false teachers described in this passage?What does it mean to change the grace of God into a license for immorality?Have you ever used God’s grace to excuse your sin?
- Who is given as examples of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire?How are they described?What does it mean to slander celestial beings?
- What did the apostles foretell about the last days?What might it look like to follow mere natural instincts and not have the Spirit?What commands are we given in light of these warnings?
Sept 11th – Ecclesiastes 1
- What does Solomon observe in nature?What purpose do we find for our lives through the observation of our world?According to Solomon then can Science alone reveal to us a purpose and meaning for our lives? Why, Why not?
- What do we know about Solomon regarding wisdom? (see 1 Kings 3) After applying his great wisdom to his study of all things what conclusion does Solomon come to?According to Solomon can we find the purpose and meaning of our lives through wisdom?
- In what ways did you seek to find meaning for your life before coming to faith in Christ?Describe your experience.
Sept 12th Ecclesiastes 2:1-11
- What does it mean that Solomon tried to test his heart with pleasure?What pleasures did Solomon try?What does he find, what conclusions does he make?
- Have you ever tried to find your satisfaction and fulfillment through pursuing pleasures?What pleasures did you pursue? What pleasures does our world tell us to pursue o be happy?
- In verses 4-9 what does Solomon try to find satisfaction in?Have you ever thought if only I had __________, I would be happy and content?What did you find?
Sept 13th Ecclesiastes 2:12-26
- Why does Solomon claim to hate life?Why does Solomon find no satisfaction in his work?What does this suggest was the end goal of his work?
- How can we find satisfaction in our work according to Solomon? What does God give to the one who pleases him?
- What is your attitude toward your work?What do you see as the end goal of your work?How has your relationship with God helped you to find satisfaction in your work?
Sept 14th – Ecclesiastes 3:1-14
- What do we learn is a part of God’s plan for our lives in the first 8 verses?How does this knowledge change our perspective during difficult seasons of life?
- What does it mean that God has made everything beautiful in its time?What does it mean that God has placed eternity in the hearts of men?
- How would you define God’s sovereignty?As you look back over your life at the good and bad times can you see how God used the negative times in your life as part of his plan?
Sept 15th – Ecclesiastes 3:15-22
- What does Solomon observe is present in the places of justice?What might be some examples of this in our world today? What encouragement does Solomon offer in light of this unfortunate reality?
- What test from God does Solomon refer to in verse 18?How does this test man?How do you think we pass the test?
- How is it possible for man to enjoy his work? (see 2:24-25)How would you answer the question that ends this passage?
Sept 16th – Psalm 36
- How does the self-flattery of the wicked prevent them from detecting and hating their sin?What might this self-flattery look like?
- What imagery does the Psalmist use to describe God?Which of God’s attributes does the Psalmist praise him for?
- What are some of the ways that God has preserved you if your life?Ways that he has been a refuge for you?Provided for you?Spend some time praising God for these things!
Sept 17th – Ecclesiastes 4
- What did Solomon observe about the Oppressed?What examples of oppression do we see in our world today?Who comforts them?
- What does Solomon see as the motive of his fellow man?In what ways do we see evidence of this motive in our world today?Put verse 6 in your own words, what is this teaching us?
- What does Solomon teach us about friendship here?Describe a time in your life when you tried to go it alone, how did it go?What are the benefits of friendship according to Solomon?
Sept 18th – Ecclesiastes 5:1-7
- How would you put in your own words what Solomon instructs us here on how to approach God?What might he be referring to as the sacrifice of fools?
- How do you approach God?Why do you approach him the way that your do?How might this passage change the way you approach God? Why?
- What are we taught about making vows to God?What vows have you made to God?How have you fulfilled those vows?What does it mean to stand in awe of God?Do you stand in awe of God?
Sept 19th Ecclesiastes 5:8-20
- What does Solomon mean in verse 10?Have you ever found yourself wanting more than what you have in regard to money?Why is it so easy to love money?
- What makes the sleep of the laborer sweet?How might the abundance of the rich prevent him from having sleep?How does the money and stuff that you have affect your sleep?
- What is the gift of God regarding wealth and material possessions according to Solomon?Are you experiencing this?Why or why not?
Sept 20th – Ecclesiastes 6
- How would Solomon answer the question, “Does prosperity bring happiness and fulfillment?”
- Who does Solomon say would be better off that a man who had prosperity but not the God given ability to enjoy it?Why would he say this?
- How are you pursuing happiness and fulfillment?Is it working, are you finding it?If so How?If not why not?What does your heart yearn for above all else?
Sept 21st – Ecclesiastes 7:1-14
- Explain the point of the proverb in verse 1 in your own words?
- How is it better to be in the house of mourning than in the house of feasting?What do you think about when you are mourning the loss of a loved one?What do you think about when you are at a party?
- In what ways is the rebuke of a wise man good for us?Why do we often prefer the song of a fool?What perspective are we instructed to have concerning suffering and difficult times in this passage?What makes this a hard perspective to have?
Sept 22nd – Ecclesiastes 7:15-8:1
- What is Solomon saying in verse 16-17?How does verse 18 help us understand these two verses?
- What is Solomon referring to in verse 26?How has Solomon lived out what he is referring to in his own life?(see 1 Kings 11:4)
- What significant theological truth is taught in this passage? (see verse 20, 29)
Sept 23rd – Psalm 37
- Why might we fret because of evil men?According to the Psalmist why shouldn’t we do this?What should we do instead? (v 3, 7)
- What does it mean to delight yourself in the Lord?Are you living this way?Why or Why not?What promise is given to those who do this?
- How does God describe the wicked in this Psalm?How does he describe the righteous?
Sept 24th – Ecclesiastes 8:2-15
- What reasons does Solomon give for obedience to the king?Since we do not have a king, who should we obey for the same reasons?
- What does Solomon point out that man has no power or control over?Who does have power and control over these things?What difference does that truth make when it comes to our perspective on our government leaders?
- What injustices does Solomon observe in this passage?What is the result of a delayed sentence for a wrongdoer according to Solomon?Can we see this at work in our world today?If so how?
Sept 25th – Ecclesiastes 8:16-9:9
- What conclusion does Solomon come to in verse 16-17?Put this in your own words.Can you think of a time in your life when you struggled to understand why something happened in your life?Describe it.
- How does Solomon live with this knowledge? (see 9:1) What does he mean when he says we do not know whether love or hate awaits us?
- What is the common destiny that all righteous and wicked people share?What hope then do we have according to Solomon here?How then should we live in light of this common destiny and the hope that is mentioned?
Sept 26th Ecclesiastes 9:10-18
- What does it look like to live like Solomon commands us to in verse 10?What reason does he give for us to work that way?Do you work that way?Why or why not?
- What is the observation Solomon is making in verse 11?What other exterior qualities might we be tempted to think guarantee success?Which of your qualities have you been tempted to rely on for success instead of trusting in God?
- What is the point of Solomon’s parable in verses 13-15?What are the principles Solomon draws out of this parable?Whose wisdom do you seek and rely on regularly?Describe that person.
Sept 27th – Ecclesiastes 10:1-20
- Explain in your own words what Solomon is communicating in verse one through vivid language.Can you think of examples of this principle in your own life?
- How does Solomon describe the fool in this passage?How does a fool differ from a wise man with his words? What tendencies are there in your life that tend toward the fool?
- What seems more common in our world today, fools or wise people?How do we live as wise people when we live among fools?
Sept 28th – Ecclesiastes 11:1-6
- What does Solomon urge us to do in verses 1 and 2?What does this mean?What can this look like in your life?What prevents us from living like this?
- What principle is Solomon teaching us in verse 4?Can you think of a time when you were tempted toward inaction because of waiting for perfect conditions?What areas of our life do we do this with?
- Put the advice Solomon share in verse 6 in your own words.Spend some time prayerfully examining your life looking for places where you are idle.
Sept 29th – Ecclesiastes 11:7-12:8
- What does Solomon tell us to do in verse 7-9?Remembering the rest of the book how are we able to do this?What 2 important reminders does Solomon give in verse 8 and 9?
- Why does Solomon remind us to remember the days of darkness? (see 7:2-4)Why does Solomon remind us that God will bring us to judgment?How should this effect the way we live?
- What does it mean to remember our creator in the days of our youth?How intentionally are you “remembering your creator?”What areas of your life would be different if you remembered your creator more?
Sept 30th – Psalm 38
- How does David describe his feelings before God because of his sin?Have you ever felt this way before God because of your sin?Describe one of those times.
- How does David describe the response of those around him? Have you ever felt like people around you have treated you like this?If so how did you respond?
- What are the petitions that David makes of the Lord in this Psalm? What are the petitions that are on your heart before the Lord today?