June 1st – 2 Samuel 21
- What do we learn about the heart of God for the Gibeonites an the way they were treated by Saul?What does this tell us about God’s heart for the mistreated whether believers or not?
- Why did Rizpah do what she did?What dd this lead David to do?How do we show respect for the dead bodies of our loved ones today?
- What remarkable feats did David’s army accomplish against the Philistines?What are some of the things that God has allowed you to accomplish with his help?
June 2nd – Psalm 72
- Describe in your own words what is meant by the imagery in verse 6?According to this what effect is the leader (king) supposed to have on the people he leads?
- How does the Psalmist desire for the king to treat the poor and needy?The oppressed?The oppressor? What would this look like in our world today for a leader to be like this?
- How could you use this Psalm as a guide to pray for our elected leaders?At the end of the Psalm who is to get the glory?
June 3rd – 2 Samuel 22
- How does David describe God in his song? If you were to write a song about what God has meant to you how would you describe Him?
- In verse 20 why does David say that God rescued him?Does God delight in you? Why or why not?What does David mean when he says “according to my righteousness” in verse 21?
- What does David say that God has done for him in this song?Take some time to look back over your life and make a list of all the things God has done for you.Praise Him for that list!
- What does David say about the man who rules justly and in the fear of God?What would a ruler like this look like in our world today?
- Why does David not drink the water that three of his mighty men went and retrieved for him from the well of Bethlehem?What does this tell us about the heart of David?
- What were the mighty men known for?Who is given the glory for their achievements? (verse 12)What are you known for?Who gets the glory for your achievements?
June 5th – 2 Samuel 24
- How do we explain verse 1 and God’s role in inciting David against Israel?How do we reconcile the difference between this passage and 1 Chronicles 21:1?
- Why was David’s taking of the census sinful?Why does David choose the punishment he does?How does God demonstrate his mercy in the story?
- Why would David not accept the free gifts of Araunah for his sacrifice to the Lord?What does this reveal about David’s heart? Would you have responded the same way?Why or why not?
June 6th – Hebrews 1
- How does God speak to us in these last days?How does this differ from the previous generations?How does this help you know what to expect when listening for God?
- How is Jesus described in this passage?How would you put verse 3 in your own words when taking to someone not familiar with who Jesus is?
- How does this passage describe angels?How is Jesus superior to the angels according to this passage? Spend some time worshipping Jesus for how he is described in this passage.
June 7th – Hebrews 2
- Why should we pay closer attention to the message we have heard through Jesus?What would it look like to neglect “such a great salvation”?How has God authenticated his message of salvation?
- What does it mean when it says that at present we do not see everything in subjection to him?How do we see Jesus crowned with glory and honor?What does it mean that he (Jesus) tasted death for everyone?
- Who is being referred to in verse 10 as the “founder of their salvation”?What does it mean that he was made perfect through suffering?Why did Jesus take on flesh according to this passage?What comfort does verse 18 give you?
June 8th – Hebrews 3
- How would you describe why Jesus is worthy of more glory than Moses?Why would this be a very important thing for Jewish Christians to understand?
- What historical event from Israel’s past is being described in verses 8-11?Have there been any seasons in your life where you put God to the test like that going astray in your heart?What happened to your relationship with the Lord?
- What does it mean to be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness? Have you ever been there?What are we commanded to do so that this does not happen?What does this look like?
June 9th – Psalm 73
- Have you ever found yourself envious of the prosperity of the arrogant and wicked like the Psalmist?How does the Psalmist go on to describe them?
- What wrong conclusions can one be led to make about God when you envy the wicked and their prosperity?What finally helped the Psalmist understand the error of this type of thinking?
- Can you say in your heart with the Psalmist in verse 25 “there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you”?Why or why not?
June 10th – Hebrews 4
- Who are those who will not get to enter into God’s rest?What message did they hear?What is the Sabbath rest mentioned here for the people of God?
- What doe we learn about the unique nature of the Word of God in verse 12?How have you seen Scripture to be like this in your life?
- How is Jesus uniquely able to sympathize with our weaknesses?Does knowing this about Jesus make it easier or harder to go to him when you are struggling in your weakness?Why?
June 11th – Hebrews 5:1-10
- What are we told are the duties of a human high priest?How does one attain to this position? Who appointed Jesus as our High Priest?
- While on earth how is Jesus described as praying?Why was he heard according to verse 7?What does this teach us about how we should pray?
- What does it mean that he learned obedience through what he suffered?What does it mean when it says “being made perfect” referring to Jesus?Does this mean that Jesus was not always perfect?
June 12th – Hebrews 5:11-6:12
- What does it mean when the author tells the people that they need milk and not solid food?What is wrong with this according to this passage?Which do you think you need?
- How do we understand verses 4-6?Who is being talked about?What are we told is impossible?
- Why is the author confident of better things in the lives of his readers?Who does he want his readers to imitate?
June 13th – Hebrews 6:13-7:10
- Why did God swear by himself to Abraham when he made a promise to him?What two unchangeable things give us the hope to trust what God promises?
- What does it mean that this hope enters into the inner place behind the curtain? What is the significance of this?
- How is Melchizedek described?Who was he, who could be described like this?How did Abraham show honor to him? How is Melchizedek different than Levi and his descendants?
June 14th – Hebrews 7:11-28
- Why did there need to be another priesthood, why was the Levitical priesthood insufficient?By what power did Jesus become a high priest in the order of Melchizedek?
- With Jesus Christ as our high priest how do we get a better hope offered to us?What difference does it make that Jesus lives forever as our high priest?
- How is Jesus described as our high priest in verse 26? Why doesn’t Jesus have to offer sacrifices for himself?For the people?
June 15th – Hebrews 8
- Where is Jesus our high priest seated?What is the significance of this?What is the connection between the tent erected by Moses and the “tent” where Jesus serves?
- What does it mean that in the new covenant God will put his laws into the minds and hearts of his people?
- What does it mean that all will know God under the new covenant?How is this different from the old testament covenants?Under the new covenant how does God respond to our sinfulness?
June 16th – Psalm 74
- What is the Psalmist describing in the first part of the Psalm verse 1-11?How do you think the Psalmist feel as he describes this?Have you ever felt this way?
- What does the Psalmist recall in verses 12-17?What might you be able to add to this list as evidence for the great power of God?
- What does the psalmist ask God to do at the end of the Psalm?What cause of God’s might we ask him to defend today?
June 17th – Hebrews 9
- Who was able to go into the most holy place?When and for what purpose did he enter the most holy place?What did he have to take with him?
- How did Jesus our great high priest enter into the holy places?What did he secure by doing this?How it is different from what the high priests did for years according to the Mosaic Law?
- What does man face after death according to verse 27?Why does Jesus only have to die once for the sins of the many?Why does Jesus come a second time according to this passage?What does it look like to eagerly wait for Him?
June 18th – Hebrews 10:1-18
- How does the law have but a shadow of the good things to come?What argument does the author use to explain why no one could be made through the sacrifices of the law?
- How have we been sanctified?What does it mean to be sanctified?Why don’t we as Christians continue to offer sacrifices?
- What does verse 14 mean when it says “he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified?”How does your heart respond to a God who would say the words of verse 17?
June 19th – Hebrews 10:19-39
- What does it mean to hold fast the confession of our hope?Why should we do this?What would it look like for you to stir up others in the church to love and good works?
- What is the Day referred to in verse 25? What are we commanded to do as we see this day approaching?How can you do this?
- Whose punishment is being described in verse 29?What was endured by the readers of this letter described in verses 32 and following? How does the author describe Christians in verse 39?Does this describe you? Why or why not?
June 20th – Hebrews 11:1-16
- How is faith defined in verse 1?Thinking of your faith what are the things hoped for that you are assured of?What are the things not seen that you are convicted about?
- Why is it impossible to please God without faith?What does anyone who desired to draw near to God need to believe?Do you believe these things?
- In what way did Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Sarah consider themselves strangers and exiles on the earth?What kind of a homeland were they seeking?
June 21st – Hebrews 11:17-40
- What does it mean that Moses considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt?Do you live with a similar perspective?If so, how?If not why not?
- How did Rahab demonstrate her faith in God?What does her inclusion in this list of people who have exemplified faith teach us?
- How have you lived out your faith, what would your story look like?What would it look like for you to live by faith right now today?What makes it hard for you to live by faith?
June 22nd – Hebrews 12:1-17
- Who are the witnesses that we are surrounded by?What are the weights that we are to lay aside?What are the sins that tend to cling so closely in your life?What does it look like to run with endurance the race set before you?
- What are we instructed to do so that we do not grow weary and fainthearted? How should this help?What is described in this passage as discipline from the Lord?
- What does the Lord’s discipline produce for those who have been trained by it?Have you seen fruit like this in your life?What are we instructed to strive for?
June 23rd – Psalm 75
- What does it mean that God will judge with equity?How is this different from how men often judge one another?
- What attribute of God is described in verse 3?What does it mean when the wicked are commanded not to lift up their horn?
- What is the point of the image in verse 8?What is being communicated to the wicked through it?What in this Psalm moves your heart to worship God?
June 24th – Hebrews 12:18-29
- To what is the author referring when he says that we have not come to what may be touched? How are the Israelites described as having reacted to the voice of God?How do you react to the voice of God?
- What does it mean when it refers to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel?
- What does it mean when we are told that we have inherited a kingdom that cannot be shaken?What two things accompany acceptable worship to God?How is our God a consuming fire?
June 25th – Hebrews 13
- Who are we to show hospitality to according to verse 2?What does the author say has happened by doing this?What does this teach us about the activity of angels?
- What does it look like to hold marriage in honor among all? What would defile the marriage bed?What should be the source of our contentment according to verse 5?
- What do we learn about Jesus in this passage?What are we to continually offer up?What does this look like for you? What sacrifices are pleasing to God?
June 26th – Judges 1
- What did the Israelites do after the death of their leader Joshua before they continued conquering the land?Do you do this in your life?How important is it to you?
- What is the significance of the Israelites not driving out all the inhabitants of the land?What were they supposed to do?(See Nub 33:50-56)
- Is there any area of your life right now where you have only been partially obedient to the Lord’s commands?What is the danger of being partially obedient?
June 27th – Judges 2:1-15
- What was the cost Of Israel’s disobedience to God?How do we see this playing out over Israel’s history in the land?
- How is the generation that came after Joshua and the elders of his time described?What did not happen that should have happened to lead to this?How can you prevent this in the lives of your children?
- In what ways can we go after other gods in our world today?What other things is your heart drawn to away from God? How do you handle those enticements?
June 28th – Judges 2:16-3:11
- What was the role of the judges that God raised up in Israel?How did the people respond to them?What evidence do we see of God’s compassion in this passage?God’s wrath?
- Why did God say he would no longer drive out the nations before the Israelites? What ways has God has tested you in your life?How did you do?How are you doing now?
- What was Israel’s consequence for doing evil in God’s sight? What made Israel cry out to God? What did God do?What does this teach us about God?
June 29th – Judges 3:12-31
- What does it mean that the Lord strengthened Eglon king of Moab against Israel?What was the result of this?what are some ways that God disciplines us today when we rebel against him?
- What does it mean that Israel sent tribute to Eglon the king of Moab?What “message” from God did Ehud deliver to the king?
- After killing the king how did Ehud rally the troops of Israel to fight against their enemies the Moabites?How does the number of years they had rest compare to the number of years they had to serve the king of Moab?What does this tell us about God?
June 30th – Psalm 76
- How would you describe what the Psalmist mean when he says that God is more majestic than the mountains full of prey?
- Why does the Psalmist say that God should be feared?What does it mean to fear God?Do you live in such a way that it demonstrates a fear of God?why, or why not?
- Why does God save the humble, why do you think that God values humility so greatly?Do you consider yourself humble?